Or...

what's bugging me today?

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ham Radio and Emergency Organizations

The local amateur radio emergency service folks have been putting on a show of organizational bad behavior for quite a few weeks now. I'm embarrassed by it.


Fortunately I can still remember the joy and satisfaction of my early years of "hamming" starting with getting my ticket as a 15-year old in 1947. At this point I can still copy cw at 25-30 wpm (faster than I can send it) and I still feel pride at the inevitable reports of hams doing good works in emergencies. Yet I can't help feeling that the institutionalization of ham's emergency activities has gone too far when it causes well-meaning radio amateurs to get caught up in office politics and posturing... no matter what the "official" party line may be.


Joe Hallett

W2HFD, ex-W1QMJ

Amateur Extra Class

No comments:

Post a Comment